I love jumping rope. In fact I can remember as young as 8 standing on the sidewalk with my friends doing double-dutch. I retired the rope until it reemerged in a boxing class I took a few years ago. Today I use it to warm up. It’s awesome and possibly the single most comprehensive and beneficial form of exercise you can do. What’s great you can do it anywhere, solo or with a sidekick and can be easily incorporated into your lifestyle. Yes it’s exercise, you will burn calories but it’s fun. I feel like a little girl every time I pick up my rope.
5 Reasons You Should Get Your Jump On
1. Efficiency Is Key: You can burn up to 1000 calories per hour, making it one of the most efficient workouts possible. It tones muscles in the entire body, developing long, lean muscles in all major muscle groups, both upper and lower. Jumping rope optimizes cardiovascular conditioning and maximizes athletic skills by combining agility, coordination, timing, and endurance. That’s why boxing champions master the jump rope.
2. Coordination Not Required: I find that most people shy away from classes because they feel uncoordinated. People of all fitness levels and athletic abilities can learn to jump rope in a relatively short amount of time. No matter what your ability-level, you can learn at your own pace in a relaxed and comfortable environment.
3. So Cool: Jumping rope is extremely enjoyable and can easily become a fitness addiction! Once you become even modestly proficient, the natural rhythm and finesse of ‘easy jumping’ takes over and hides the fact that you’re actually exercising quite vigorously. This is why many athletes – especially professional boxers and other highly-conditioned athletes – are literally able to jump rope for hours on end without tiring physically or mentally. Also, jumping rope is one of the most flexible types of workout and encourages creativity and spontaneity.
4. Frugal Fitness: Compared to most other fitness products, jump ropes are very inexpensive, making this exercise accessible to everyone. I purchased my jump rope at Sports Authority for around $10. FYI it’s not pink. It’s black.
5. Convenient: The award for portability goes to the jump rope! Forget trying to pack mats/light weights. A small jump rope can be carried in a suitcase, briefcase, backpack, or purse anywhere in the world and provide you with the most effective portable workout in existence. Size of area doesn’t matter all you really need is 3’ x 4’ and a high ceiling to burn calories on the go. You can also take it outdoors. The next time I travel I’m taking my rope with me.